Thread: Knee Injuries
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmasterpiece
I have had six knee operations (3 on each) and had the right knee reconstructed. The rehab time really depends on how well your knee/leg is in shape prior to the surgery. At your age your down time (scope only) should be no longer than 2-3 weeks max. If you have it reconstructed (replace the ACL) then the rehab time is about 6-9 months, depending on how often you rehab it.
The poster is correct, the physical condition of the patient has a great influence on recovery.

The terms "rehab" and "downtime" need to be construed within the patient's considerations. For instance, typical PT is designed to bring the typical surgical patient (knee of the OP e.g.) upright and mobile. There may be continued swelling, quadriceps weakness (visible from muscular degeneration and atrophy), limping, etc. The patient could return to work which is one of the common milestones in knee rehabilitation.

Dealing with athletes (my experience level almost entirely), we have a much different set of problems, physical conditions and end results as goals.

An umpire is an athlete. Let me rephrase. Umpires in our organizations are required to be athletic to call 60/90 baseball. This means highly mobile with one milestone being able to get distance on fly ball calls (from A) and to cover 2B from PU.

The set of goals, as you can see, are quite different than the typical office worker and the use of the term "rehab" has come to mean "post rehabilitation" to us.

Managed medicine determines, for those who use insurances to pay for PT, the length and breadth, often the prescription itself, of PT. Post-rehab is not managed, it is fee based not funds based and is is often the realm of the science-based strength and power trainer who is almost always the proper professional for the athletic post-rehabilitation patient/athlete.