View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Bottom line with all this is if you work in a state where crews are the norm, then the non-crews for post-season basketball is going to be a change from the norm and present some officials with challenges while others will handle it fine.

I now work in a state where I have different partners every night. Crews are non-existant at any level of play. While it is different than my last state, where crews are normal, it has been a blast for me. And once you are used to it, it's not a problem. It just makes pre-games much more important.
in Louisiana the first three rounds of the state playoffs the assignments are 3man crews from an agreed upon Association (and sometimes they are from the home town of one of the teams if both coaches agree to it). The 3 man crews are mixed bag from the Association's Assignment Secretary.

The first round will see a group of a 2nd year or up, a 5th year or up and a senior crew chief. The second round will see two 5th year or up and a senior crew chief. The third round will see three crew chiefs with one guy as the senior reff onsite.

The Final Four assignments are done by the LHSAA Director of Officials, Asst Commissioner Mac Chauvin and he picks the neutral crews from all over the state and assigns them to games himself. To get on his list of Final Four (we call it the Top 28) caliber Reffs you must go in June to the LHSAA three man camp in Baton Rouge at LSU. Once they see you work and take note of your potential they will keep an eye on you and ask various coaches and your Assignment Secretary about your development and reputation.
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator