View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 22, 2000, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I think there will be much discussion about this because the Nat. Fed. rules typically change after college rules change. I am willing to enforce the rule however it is written because I am only marginally on the side of the way the rule is written.

I believe our discussion is NOT about the free throws as we both agree that free-throws are an acceptable penalty for a "t". Our discussion seems to focus more around the issue of possession after the free-throws. You contend that it should go back to the team who had it before the "T" was called because you feel that a technical foul should ONLY result in free-throws. This is an inequality in the penalty enforcement. I contend that offense should lose possession because a foul (regardless of what type --in this case, a "T") is still a foul and the penalty for any foul commited while on offense is loss of possession. Anything other than loss of possession would be an inequality in the rules about fouls. It would seem to me that a technical foul then becomes less severe than a regular foul commited by an offensive player. (Note: I am not making a statement of fact but rather a comparison to how we are thinking)

I really don't care how the rule is written or changed as I can see both sides of this issue in where the inequality exists.

According to your profile you have been doing this for 21 years compared to my 2 years and you may have seen a number of instances where a "t" caused huge inequities in a game!

By the way, you are right on about the pre-game dunk. Putting the ball at the disposal of the inbounder is what starts the alternating possession arrow. I thought I had read a casebook example where the jumpball still took place. If I find it, I will pass it on. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by mikesears (edited June 22, 2000).]