View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ

R1 is trying to score. F2 catches the throw, but before the runner arrives he drops it of his own volition, all the while denying access to R1. Now R1 arrives and contacts F2. Obstruction?

Answer: Yes, since F2 dropped the ball on his own and continued to deny access.

JJ
"All the while" needs to be defined more clearly.

Take your OP, F2 catches the ball, drops it of his own volition BUT IMMEDIATELY picks it up and tags the runner.

Are you going to call OBS?

To me this is no different then a fielder mis-playing a batted ball. At what point does the fielder lose protection? The "rule-of-thumb" is "step and reach" meaning if the fielder is within a step and reach of the batted ball and say R1 collides with F4, R1 would still be called for interference as opposed to F4 chasing a lose ball and collides with R1 F4 would be guilty of OBS.

Therefore, I do not think one can make a blanket statement about F2 dropping the ball. In reading the OP I believe the term
Quote:
all the while denying access to R1
meant that F2 dropped the ball and the ball caromed away and F2 was still denying access to the plate.

To get clarification why don't you send the NFHS the play I presented and see what their rule would be?

Pete Booth