View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
Garth:

he paid the price by getting dumped.
This is what I don't understand. The price he paid (getting dumped) is the consequence for his behavior, not the price for sticking around and continuing to vent. He is no longer a participant and as such, has no right to be on the field or vent at me.

You're an aspiring law student. Try this:

When a judge, who has had enough crap from someone in his courtroom orders the bailiff to remove him, doe he say: "But wait a minute, he's paid the price, let him stick around for a few seconds and vent at me first."

I don't think so.

Many times, when I see umpires allow an ejected coach to stick around and have his say, the situation goes from bad to worse with the coach showing up the umpire(s) and further delaying the game. What part of that is positive?

I know at the pro level managers are apt to yell "I paid my five bucks, I'm gonna get my money's worth." Even at that level, you'll see umpires who will continue to argue with him and those who will walk away and let their partners do their job. The ones that walk away seem to have shorter interruptions in the game and fewer antics by the managers.

I don't don't work proball, not even as a fill-in anymore. I'm not there to let some clown entertain the crowd. I'm there to work a baseball game. An ejected coach may stay a bit too long on the field acting out, but not with me participating.

Last edited by GarthB; Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 12:57pm.