View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 11:53pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I can't decide if it passed over the backboard, or not. I can't decide if it barely, or nearly, passed over the backboard, or not. I can't decide if it passed over the corner of the backboard, or the side of the backboard.
I guess you are firmly in the "I don't know" camp then, so I'm not sure why you are arguing with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
But you seem to sure of the play: "It was barely over the corner of the backboard". Don't you see how your description of the replay contradicts your interpretation of the play? How does, "It was barely over the corner of the backboard", not match with, "The ball shall be out of bounds when it passes over the backboard from any direction"?
For the same reason that no official calls 3-seconds because a post players heel is on the lane line -- that's not the spirit of the rule. "Passing over" does not equal "10% of the ball was over the very edge of the backboard".

This play has never been and is not an OOB call... I guess that's all I can say about it. If you want to dissect words and get hyper-technical you are going to have to do that with someone else.