View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I would like to see more opinions on the correctable error part of this discussion:

NFHS: Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in:
a. Failure to award a merited free throw.
b. Awarding an unmerited free throw.
c. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw.
d. Attempting a free throw at the wrong basket.
e. Erroneously counting or canceling a score.

If this had been a NFHS game, could the officials, within the time frame of a correctable error, stop the game, discuss the possibility that the over-the-backboard rule may have been inadvertently set aside on the play, and decide to count, or cancel the score? Isn't that what 2-10 is for?

If an official erroneously counts a basket during a player control foul, and the scorekeeper adds two points to the team's total score, can't an official correct the error during the correctable error time frame, and cancel the score?

Here's one we might see a couple times a season: Two man game, three point shot is taken from foul line extended, on lead's side, possible "dual coverage" area, one official signals three attempt, and three score, the other official doesn't signal anything, scorekeeper adds three points to the team total, one official decides to discuss the play with partner, blows the whistle after the throwin after the made field goal to discuss, time limit for correctable error hasn't expired, officials decide that the shooter did step on the line. Can't the officials correct the erroneously counted score by canceling the extra point?

In my opinion, all three of these situations involve correctable errors, that can be corrected in the prescribed time frame. These are not bookkeeping errors, or mistakes, that can be corrected up until the officials' jurisdiction ends. Nor are these errors, or mistakes, that do not fall under Rule 2-10, and cannot be corrected.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, just be sure to correct me no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.
I hope it is Billy because that's exactly what we did in our last game of the season. The scenario that I posted is exactly what happened in our game. I was L so I had no idea whether it went over the backboard or not. But the T, who was also the R, came to me as the teams were leaving the floor and said it went over the backboard. We agreed that it was within the CE rule to cancel the basket and he did.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith