View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 02:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"T-Worthy" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
As for the second T, the coach deserved it. But... Might the discretion you exercised have actually been the right answer? Would the T have served any useful purpose? Would it have made the game better? Would it have gotten the coach under control? Would it have affected the outcome? Would it have righted some wrong? Or, in the last game of the season, that's already been decided, and with less than three seconds on the clock, would it have only made an emotional situation more emotional? What if the coach really went off at you after getting the T? Are you prepared to toss him? With three seconds left? What if he refused to leave, then what? Forfeit the game? I just can't see any possible positive outcome from dropping a T on this idiot at this point in this game.
From me: "I might even go as far as a flagrant technical foul. Because it's flagrant, maybe some type of league rule would have some administrator look into this, or perhaps even make him, or her, sit out a game next season."

Plus, a technical foul at this point in the game, or at any point in the game, will send the coach the message that "You cost us the championship. You'll never work one of my games again" is totally unacceptable behavior, which might help the next official that has the unfortunate experience to officiate this coach's next game, even if it's next year. It also sends a a message to all the players, and the fans, that conduct like this is unacceptable.

"Might the discretion you exercised have actually been the right answer?" Maybe.
"Would the T have served any useful purpose?" Yes, see above.
"Would it have gotten the coach under control?" No, but he wouldn't be in the gym any longer.
"Would it have affected the outcome?" Absolutely not.
"Would it have righted some wrong?" Yes, see above.
"Would it have only made an emotional situation more emotional?" Yes, but he would be emotional, After twenty-seven years, I'm pretty good at controlling my emotions.
"What if the coach really went off at you after getting the T?" My technical would probably have been flagrant. If it weren't, he would have gotten a second direct one and been tossed, hopefully by my partner.
"Are you prepared to toss him?" Yes, probably with the first technical being flagrant.
"With three seconds left?" Yes, three seconds, thirty one minutes, anytime. "You cost us the championship. You'll never work one of my games again" is totally unacceptable behavior, anytime.
"What if he refused to leave, then what?" Easy. Pick a fair time for him to speak to his assistant, let's say thirty seconds. Have the timekeeper put that time on the clock. You, or your partner tell the coach he has thirty seconds to vacate the gym or he will forfeit the game.
"Forfeit the game?" See above question, no problem.
"I just can't see any possible positive outcome from dropping a T on this idiot at this point in this game" I can, see above.

I consider this "T-Worthy". At any time. Period. And I haven't issued a technical foul to a coach this whole 60plus game season. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.