View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 01:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Point, But ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Are you saying that we should be able to let the play go back and forth as long as the ball doesn't become dead, maybe for 5-6 different possessions, and at the first dead ball we can then get together and say "Hey, I think that we missed a ........ call. Let's ......... the basket now."
Jurassic Referee: Good point. Forget about the goaltending call for now. I'm not ignoring it, I will get back to it shortly. I took the liberty of editing your post to reflect that.

Doesn't Rule 2-10 allow us to do exactly what you (edited) stated, once the officials are 100% sure that they are dealing with a correctable error? Let's look at a different example, let's say the example I gave of the three point shot that is later decided by the officials to be only a two point shot, with a few alterations, for sake of argument. At the time of the shot Team A is tied with Team B. The supposed three pointer puts Team A up by three points. The "play go(es) back and forth as long as the ball doesn't become dead, maybe for 5-6 different possessions, and at the first dead ball" one official, the one who thinks it was a two point shot, for the first time since the shot, decides to look at the scoreboard, sees that three points were added to Team A instead of the two he thought Team A should have received. Blows the whistle for a conference with his partner. Two Point Official: "Did you count that last basket as a two or three? I didn't see your signal before, or after, the attempt". Three Point Official: "I counted it as a three. I was 95% sure, but I got blocked out by the opponent right before the release of the ball. I'm sure that he was behind the arc a split second before the release. Did you get a better look?". Two Point Official: "Yes, I got a great look. Right before the release, the shooter just barely touched the line. I'm 100% sure. I guess that's why the coach is complaining." Three Point Official: "OK, I'll go along with you since you got a good, 100%, sure angle on the play. I'll go over to the table, invite the two coaches over, and I'll make sure that the last basket was recorded as a two pointer".

Could it happen, by rule, like this? I think that it could.

Now, the important question, the one that I wanted to revisit. Is the over-the backboard play, the player control foul counting the basket play, the two or three point play, or your goaltending play, covered by rule 2-10, specifically the part about erroneously counting or canceling a score?

Again, if, and it's a big if, these situations are intended to be covered by Rule 2-10, a large amount of time can pass between the error and the correction.

Bottom line for me:
Over the Backboard: Not sure if it's correctable.
Player Control Foul Basket Counted: Correctable Error.
Two Or Three Points: Correctable Error.
Goaltending: Not sure if it's corrrectable.

Looking forward to responses from Jurassic Referee, or from other Forum members.