Thread: Cal/UCLA DD??
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=SMEngmann]
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff

Why would the clock start if the touch was a violation, in this case a fist to the ball? The ball was not legally touched in that case, so there should be 1.5 on the clock as I read the rule.

Now, if a fist violation hadn't occurred, the ball clearly went OOB on the baseline, and on my DVR replay, when the game clock showed 0.7 the ball was clearly over OOB but hadn't touched anything yet. My point is that if they called OOB there should have been a baseline throw-in. If they called a fist, there should have been more time on the clock. That's why I'm confused as to what was actually called. Obviously there's something they saw on the monitor that I didn't on my replays.
I saw the replay from 2 angles. They got it wrong. Either 1.2 with fist violation or 0.1 at the most when it touched out of bounds. The reason for time coming off with the violation is because the clock starts on a touch, not a legal touch. Don't confuse it with the throw-in ending rule.
The reason the NBA does 0.3 in these situations is to be consistent across the board and 0.4 or more you can catch. You could take off .1 or .2 if you'd like.