Thread: Cal/UCLA DD??
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 08, 2008, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
Good points here. Shooting over the backboard is NOT legal in NCAA. Based on what I saw, I believe that the officials call a fist violation, which is why there was more time on the clock and the ball was inbounded on the sideline. If that was the case, however, I believe there should have been 1.5on the clock since the clock was stopped at 1.5 when the fist occurred. Either that or the ball should have been inbounded on the endline with however much time left that they determined when the ball was OOB.

In terms of the "foul" the announcers were barking about, there was no angle that definitively showed any foul. Further, the C made an excellent OOB call giving it to UCLA, so I very much doubt he could "swallow the whistle" if he was that focused on the OOB play. As for the over the backboard, judgement call and it was pretty close, so I think they erred on the side of counting the basket.
Okay, a fist call makes sense. I thought that's what it looked like, but forgot to think about how that would affect the clock.

I also thought the oob call by the C was excellent. That replay from the C's angle made it very, very clear. Regarding the foul, I think there may have been a swung arm, but the ball movement didn't reflect the kind of hack on the arm that the announcers wanted. It looked like a good no call to me.

I did think they could have called a hold on UCLA before the Cal player got the ball. It looked like one UCLA player had his arm all the way around, wth a generous helping of jersey in the hand.