View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Every time.

Same call.

Never.

IMO, the best way to handle the sitch is for the C to provide more info to the T (via their discussion as your described), then have the T reverse his own call by blowing his whistle and then pointing in the new direction.
My responses are the exact reverse of Jug's because of what zebraman wrote. As the C, I am NOT watching the play that is TWO feet in front of my partner. If he can't handle that play, then that's his problem and he can answer to the powers that be for it.

So I would:
NEVER help in this situation, but for circumstances in which I would help a partner the time left in the game does matter to me. If a partner blows a call in the 1st half the team still has plenty of game time to recover. I'm very likely to just let him live with it. However, if there is a blown call in the last minute, the team that suffers has very little opportunity to make up for it, so I would be much more likely to offer my suggestion.

I do agree with him that the original calling official should be the one to reverse his own call. The Japanese concept of saving face comes into play here. I never want to embarrass a partner on the court.