View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvhoops
I was recently in a discussion with a fellow member who also coaches. And he asked me why officials do not have criminal record checks as part of the membership and his coaching association requires it. I stated our association has made the choice not to do them, at this point at least.

What are some of your opinions to having officials getting criminal record checks?
If you haven't done anything wrong, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. That being said, Background Checks will begin in Texas starting the 08-09 school year, and at a cost or $65-85 to each official. I know a lot of officials who NET $750-800 per year calling games and have told me in no uncertain terms, that if they are required to submit to a criminal background check just to call some JH, JV, or the occassional Var. game that they will be hanging up their stripes. Whether or not they do . . . well, that is yet to be seen. I can't say I blame them.

MY opinion is that I am NEVER in contact with any athlete in a private setting . . . only on the floor, and yet I am to be treated with the same "caution" as a coach or teacher who is regularly in a private and unsupervised setting with students/athletes. Yet, in many states they are not required to go through a Criminal Background Check. I have a hard time accepting that scenario. But, that's just me. (NOTE: Criminal Background Checks for ALL education professionals in Texas (teachers, aides, etc.) were instituted 1-2 years ago, and will be in effect for ALL district employees beginning next year. YEAH!!!)

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 11:05pm.