View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

A Few Questions From a Rookie

First post - a little about myself:

I started officiating junior high this year after seven years of coaching - I had filled in from time to time over the years, but had never reffed seriously until now. After my coaching season was over this year (in December), found out I really missed basketball and took a liking to the other side of the ball. Plus, there's a serious shortage here so it was really easy to pick up some games. I did my last games last weekend, and ended up with about 16 under my belt when it was all said and done. I also umpire baseball in the summer.

Question #1 - Ball inbounded in frontcourt, touches offensive players hand in frontcourt (no control), then rolls into backcourt. Player picks it up and I called over and back. My partner said it was an incorrect call because he never established control.

Question #2 - What exactly is the ruling when the ball hits the top of the backboard on a shot? I always have thought it was still in play as long as it doesn't go behind the backboard, but have seen it called differently at different times.

Question #3 - Inbounds situation. Defender touches the ball before it leaves the inbounder's hands. Never actually had this happen this season - just wondering. I've heard that it should result in a T? Is this correct?

Thanks -