View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 05:03pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial
In our area we don't encourage calling out of our PCA's, but if it's needed we try to keep three things in mind before making a call:

1. Be late -- Give your partner a chance to see the play through and make the call. It is definitely better to be late on a call than to not make the right call.
2. Be right -- Definitely make sure the call you are going to make outside your PCA is the right call and not something that is borderline.
3. Be needed -- If your partner got screened out of the play then obviously he could miss something that your angle will pick up.

There are only two or three of us on the floor to catch everything so sometimes we need help from our partners to help us out when we have bad angles or are looking at a different area of the floor.

I would disagree with the evaluator and his comment...sometimes it is necessary.
You are new or at least have only posted twice, but this is a quality post. Contrary to what some may think, I know situations happen in a game where we may have to "extend" our coverage area. Your three points are spot on, IMO, when deciding why to do such. If those three criteria are met I have no problem with a call in my area. However, I'm not dumb enough to buy the whole "get the call right" mantra - it is asking for a license to ball watch. A lot of people will be constantly seeking opportunities to "get the call right." Mysteriously those opportunities are normally looked for on the ball. Funny how that happens.

If someone needs that much help, help them by teaching them how to officiate with angles in their primary.