View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 11:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No, I don't think that Billy is asking me to validate ball watching. Unless I'm reading Billy wrong, and I sureasheck might be, he's talking about something that comes up in my field of vision outside of my primary but still within...say... a half-court that's so obvious that I gotta go get it. I agree with doing something like that. That's a big difference from ball watching.

Rumpy though now....he was looking for validation for ball watching in his example. Watching a dribbler under no pressure 70' down the court is ball-watching imo. I doubt very much whether I'd even notice something that far away--that's from one endline to the far foul line. And at that distance, I doubt that I could be 100% sure of anything that I noticed to ever warrant making a call anyway.
Forget it, JR. To some around here, making a call 18 inches outside of someone's primary is indicative of ball watching.

None of us have peripheral vision or ever focus on a competitive matchup in our primary that opens up our field of vision to see something near that matchup. It's all ball watching.

Would I notice an illegal dribble? Maybe, but I honestly wouldn't be prepared to blow on it as I expect my partner to handle a 1-on-1 matchup coming from the backcourt.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Mar 01, 2008 at 11:19pm.