View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 08:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Bad For A New Guy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Get the call right would be my overriding concern here. As a fledgling first year I have had a few instances that seem appropriate... It had to be called.
ca_rumperee: Well put, especially for a new guy.

This is always part of my pregame:
Stay In Your Primary, It Must Be Obvious To Come Out Of Your Primary
Respect each other's area. Seldom should have four eyes on the ball. It must be obvious to come out of your primary. We’re not going to have too many double whistles if we are doing this right.

I like the example you gave of the illegal dribble, however, some officials would say that you should have missed that call because you should have been watching the other nine players on your end of the floor. It's a fine line between making the obvious call outside your primary coverage area and "poaching". I have heard others on this Forum describe an obvious, outside your primary, correct call, as being the one where everyone in the gym, players, coaches, table, fans, yourself, in other words, everyone in the gym, except your partner, sees the violation, and you for whatever reason, maybe by "looking through" your primary, see it, then you must call it.