View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

yuh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raida357
After the game, the evaluator said that an official should never make a call outside their area of responsibility.
.. and at that point one's heart sank.

Get the call right would be my overriding concern here.
As a fledgling first year I have had a few instances that seem appropriate. Here are two that contrast:

1)In a girls JV game, I'm lead on an a endline inbounds play in the back court.
My partner is at one end, and I am at the other. No press.

Ball is inbounded, player is dribbling the ball in the back court towards the front court. Partner is practically parallel to the dribbler, looking up the court. For some strange girl-jv-player-brain-fart reason, dribbler picks up her dribble, starts dribbling again, then gets all flustered. Partner is oblivious. I blow my whistle from 70 feet away. Partner was just distracted, looking at the clock, whatever. He had no reason to believe this player would screw things up.

It had to be called.

2) Just a week ago I'm working a cyo game. I'm lead. Near endline, player A1 advances towards the basket from the corner. The play is right in front of me. B1 moves to stop drive. I have legal guarding position, slight contact between the two, A1 starts to retreat. No call.

From a far off place in the gym comes, "TWEET". Partner has a block from 45 feet away. Now, I'm not obsessed with my area/ your area, but this has happened a couple of times in the game. No worries.

---

So, in play #1 I feel that I'm making a 'save' for the sake of the game and our credibility.

In play #2 I feel like partner is making a call that I have clearly passed on. Partner is making a call that is right in front of me, when there was plenty of action in the key that they should have been focusing on.

Thats all I'll add. Again, fledgling.