View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raida357
My regular partner recently worked a F/JV doubleheader with a different official. The conference assignor and an evaluator were present to rate the Varsity crew, but they also watched the JV game. The only major issue the evaluator had was that my partner made a foul call on a play in the other officials area of responsibility. Here is the play:

My partner was trail on a fast break by Team A, just as A1 jumped for a lay-up attempt, B1 grabbed his jersey from behind. The other official had no angle and was completely blocked out by A1. My partner made the call. Neither coach had an issue with the call or the fact that my partner made it.

After the game, the evaluator said that an official should never make a call outside their area of responsibility. Do the veteran officials agree? I understand the importance of watching the play in your area and not tracking the ball, but there are some situations where you see something obvious outside your area. Don't we have an obligation to call a foul/violation if we see it? Just wondering what others think.
DID HE GET THE CALL RIGHT??? I'm fine with somebody reaching in my area as long as they get the call right. If it was something I was choosing to pass on, meaning in my judgement the contact wasn't sufficient enough to warrant air in the whistle, then I will tell my partner that in the dressing room.

TRUST YOUR PARTNER.... That not only means trust your partner and let him have his own third of the floor, but trust your partner that if he "reaches" then he must've have seen something that need to be called and I missed it.