View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
I am not saying what I did is appropriate for every situation, but it was for that one IMHO.
I think this is probably the best answer for WMB's question. Sometimes you get involved and sometimes you don't. I thought I knew the rule book fairly well, but, with the help of this discussion board and others, I have discovered I'm not as bright as I thought I was. When I screw up on the field, I don't really want to be corrected and be further made the fool, but, I certainly would prefer to get the ruling correct than think I'm right, when I'm really wrong.

All the training I've received generally tells me to keep my mouth shut when my partner makes a call, UNLESS my partner asks me for help. "You made the call, live or die with it." I understand the philosophy behind that attitude, but sometimes I disagree with it.

Last NFHS season, my relatively new partner was going to eject and call out an unreported sub who just hit a triple. I, feeling confident I was the only one who knew the correct ruling, interjected myself. Gave the warning, left her on third. DC coach tells me after the inning that they looked it up and I was right. I didn't need that confirmation, but I was also glad that we ended up getting the ruling correct.

I think if your partner is about to screw up a ruling and you can prevent it, or fix it, you should do it. But use some tact. Don't throw your partner under the bus; you're a team. Get it right, but don't take away your partners dignity.

If your partner has crappy judgement, your partner has to take the heat until they get better.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"