View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Fresno Force 14U tourney.. they truck in umps from all over CA just to get the best umps for a VERY well run tourney.. no scrub umps.

(I think I posted when this happened and I'm a little shady now on the details...but I'll do my best, the point is the same)

So I'm working with Mr NCAA who lauded me with his NCAA accomplishments before the game..

I'm BU in C

Pop up on foul side of 3b line, F2 chasing, with a clear case of coaches interference, which definitely caused f2 to miss the ball. I hear the PU say something about "coaches obstruction".

So OK.. foul ball, F2 didnt make the play and I figure what the heck, hes calling it the wrong thing, but hes on top of it in general and stood there watching.

So he comes up, warns the coach for his obstruction, calls it a foul ball and back to playing we go.

I'm pretty well confounded.. but say nothing...

Tourney UIC was watching and approaches me after the game asking me what I saw. I told him it was clearly Interference by the coach. he agreed and asked me why I didnt do anything about it.. I told him I didnt want to show up my partner on the field, so I said nothing..

Sometimes you just eat the call for the sake of your on the field partnership, especially if "everyone is happy".

I cant see rushing in and attempting to change a call.. that could very well create a bigger problem than the bad call.

Of course, its your duty to raz him about his crappy call for the rest of the tourney.. which I did.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 09:11pm.