View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Why a dead ball call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
This weekend I was working a nice High School tournament and in one game in particular I am working the plate and on bases is a guy I don't know for more than 5 minutes.
So 2 innings into the game we have a runner on second, no outs and the batter hits a shot to right field, I pickup the runner rounding 3rd and she retreats back to 3rd. I look across and see delayed dead ball and R2 walking to 2nd, she touches 2nd and looks at base ump with his arm extended and proceeds to step off the base and takes a few steps towards the dugout. BOOM his arm goes up she's out (I'm thinking LBR, as the pitcher has the ball in the circle) BUT.... where was the dead ball call.... the award of the base and then play ball? coach doesn't come out to argue (yes I said it!! no arguing). The base umpire doesn't ask for any help from me (no reason to) .... so poorly written play scenario or not. My question is: Should I have called time and discussed this with him?
No need for a dead ball call if the runner obtained the base they would have reached had there been no obstruction. I don't have my Fed rulebooks with me, but I believe the mechanics are the same for ASA. You don't call dead ball if the runner made it safely to second. Did the ball beat the runner to 2nd and was there a tag? If that is the case, then yes there should have been a dead ball call.