View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Runner at first, hard hit grounder up the middle, second base side. 2B makes a good backhand going towards the bag, meanwhile SS is converging towards the bag for a double play. 2B reaches into his glove and holds out his right arm to hand the ball to a bewildered SS trying to get out of the way on the OF side of 2B. As 2B steps on the bag and holds the ball out to be taken by the SS, the ball falls onto the ground. The runner runs past the bag and notices the ball on the ground and scuffles back to the bag while the fielders grab the ball and try to tag the runner. Tell tale sign to me that the ball may have come loose prior to forcing the runner out. I call him safe and not without question from the coach. I ruled the runner safe given that I never actually saw that there was voluntary release to give the ball to the SS as the 2B's body blocked my view of the exchange. I know it is a kind of "had to see it" deal, however I felt that voluntary release came more into play than anything else. Your thoughts. JT