View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 11, 2000, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

I remember when this situation first came out last year on a different board, and then moved here, methinks. I believe something went along with this as to where B's throw-in would be.

As a timer, I am sticking with my original answer - the time should be put back on the clock.

Here are my three ways of looking at the situation:

(1) The official who is covering A2 is in a better position to determine the inbounds/oob status of A2. This official can tell if A2 caught the ball, then stepped out; stepped out, then caught it; etc.

(2) If a timer is looking at the administering official, and getting ready for time to be chopped in (when the clock is stopped), and a whistle blows, the timer may start the clock. (I've actually had this happen to me at the end of a period in a JV game.) If you go with this scenario, it is timer error, and at least one second must be put back on the clock.

(3) The rules covering this situation lead me to believe that the clock should be reset.

5-9-4 "The clock shall be started when the ball touches . . . a player on the court [not necessarily inbounds - this was big the last time this came up] after it is released by the thrower."

5-8-1c "Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official signals a violation [such as OOB]."

Now, when A2 touches the ball, these two events (start and stop clock) occur simultaneously. Therefore, no time should be run off the clock.

[This message has been edited by Mark Dexter (edited June 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mark Dexter (edited June 11, 2000).]