View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 01:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, thinking you had jsut mis-read the play. Heaven knows, I've done that often enough.

But, it seems as though you're just mistaken.

See 4.19.8D for a case that's pretty darn close to the OP.

Bob:

In the Casebook Play you reference, A1 already has player control of the ball, hence there is team control of the ball, but in the OP, the official is still reporting B1's personal foul when the double technical foul by A1 and B1 occurs. The game had not yet progressed to free throw activity of B1's personal foul when the double technical foul occurred.

NFHS R10, Penalty 7: "In the case of a false double foul or false multiple foul, each foul carries its own penalty."

NCAA R10-S1, Penalty g: "In the case of a false double foul or a false multiple foul, each foul shall carry its own penalty. When one of the fouls is a technical foul, the ball shall be put back in play at the point of interruption."

The NFHS Rules Committee may have wanted its Penalty 7 to be the same as the NCAA's Penalty g, but Penalty 7's wording stops short of saying the same thing that Penalty g's wording says. JR has referenced NFHS R4-S36-A2b, and that is one of the two rules that are referenced in Bob's NFHS Casebook Play 4.19.8 Situation D. The other rule referenced in the Casebook Play is R7S5-A3b; both of the rules referenced in the Casebook Play are the applicable rules for that play. I would concede JR, et al's point if A1's free throw activity had started: that being anytime after the players had lined up for the free throws. But in the OP that activity had not been reached, and NFHS R10, Penalty 7 is not the same as NCAA R10-S1, Penalty g.

Maybe this is a play that needs to be addressed by the NFHS Rules Committee. I think that we call all agree the Point of Interruption rule in both the NFHS and NCAA does cause more problems than it solves. Five years ago we would not be having this discussion because it would have been so easy to administer in both NFHS and NCAA.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio