View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
As for the purpose, I will let the MIAA speak for itself. This is directly from the MIAA:
The mission of education-based athletics is quite different than the mission of other basketball organizations for which you may also officiate. We have a strong commitment to both exemplary sportsmanship, and to improving the culture/climate associated with school activities in all of the 34 sports recognized by the MIAA.

The vote of our policy-making Council (MIAC) with regard to contest officials’ presence for post-game handshakes in all sports was viewed by Council members to be a significant step in advancing both sportsmanship and improving game culture/climate. Contest officials are uniquely and critically important to all of the 100,000 competitions which take place among our high schools annually. The officials’ presence during this end-of-game ceremony sends a positive message. That participation closes a circle of mutual respect among all of the principal game participants (i.e. student athletes, coaches, and contest officials).
You misspelled "warm and fuzzies." I'm just sayin'.