View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
What I don't understand is the purpose behind asking the officials to stick around. The state thinks they've removed the jurisdiction of the officials by fiat, in order to avoid the possibility of a stupid coach getting himself a post-game T that costs his team the game. (Now this stupid coach can say what he wants with impunity.) So, without jurisdiction, why have the officials stick around? Warm and fuzzies?
The MIAA went to the NFHS and got a ruling that the officials game jurisdiction ends when the referee approves the final score -- not when the officials leave the confines of the gym. We have been told that a nod or a "thumbs up" or "Yes, the score is right" is good enough. Any action after that, while we are still on the court, is to be penalized under MIAA sportsmanship rules, not as part of the game. So if a coach or player says a magic word after you have approved the score, it will have no bearing on the game, but could end up with a disqualification from future games.

As for the purpose, I will let the MIAA speak for itself. This is directly from the MIAA:
The mission of education-based athletics is quite different than the mission of other basketball organizations for which you may also officiate. We have a strong commitment to both exemplary sportsmanship, and to improving the culture/climate associated with school activities in all of the 34 sports recognized by the MIAA.

The vote of our policy-making Council (MIAC) with regard to contest officials’ presence for post-game handshakes in all sports was viewed by Council members to be a significant step in advancing both sportsmanship and improving game culture/climate. Contest officials are uniquely and critically important to all of the 100,000 competitions which take place among our high schools annually. The officials’ presence during this end-of-game ceremony sends a positive message. That participation closes a circle of mutual respect among all of the principal game participants (i.e. student athletes, coaches, and contest officials).