Thread: Too Many "T's"?
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
Coaches and players rarely blow up unless there has been some series of calls or events where they perceive they are wronged.
This statement is correct.

However, every player and coach is different and reacts differently to any kind of game management techniques used to diffuse these situations. There are some coaches and players who are going to get whacked no matter what. There are some that will respond well to an official and back down before crossing the line.

Every time I T a coach for unsportsmanlike conduct, I review the situation to see if I could have done anything differently. Most of the time, my answer is no - based on the information I had at the time. One time this year I gave a T to a coach and in reviewing I said something in an attempt to calm that actually aggravated the situation. But it didn't excuse what happened next to necessitate the T.

All of the Ts in the OP were earned - and many of them should have been earned earlier than they were. We have no idea if any other "game management" techniques could have been used...

Oh, and edited to add: sometimes their perception is so far from reality that it doesn't matter. And then there's nothing an official can do but whack them and move on. Ignorance is a tripping point for me...

Last edited by jdw3018; Tue Feb 05, 2008 at 11:43am.