View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sound the whistle, give the sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think I would treat this the same as a pre-game dunk. We've always been taught not to sound the whistle. Just inform the table and coaches. I would think that I would do the same in this situation, unless somebody can offer a good reason for blowing the whistle.
I will tell you why I think that a whistle would be appropriate in this circumstance.

Last week, I attended a game as a spectator in which there was a pregame dunk. I was not in the game when the dunk occurred, but after a phone call just now to the calling official, he did not sound his whistle or make any indication of what had happened. He did immediately walk over to the player of the coach though and informed him. I came in with about 7 minutes on the clock before the game started.

After the teams were introduced, the calling official stepped into the reporting area, sounded his whistle, indicated the team, number and gave the T signal, and then said "Dunking before the game" along with a nice 2 handed rim grasp motion. I wish I had had my video camera running from right behind the table for this one.

Anyhoww, as they went and shot the FTs, I heard 2 different conversations around me of people asking why the visitors were starting with 2 FTs and the ball.

While everyone in the gym at the start of the game may not have been in the gym when the dunk happened, I don't think it hurts to sound your whistle when something does happen during warm-ups that warrants a technical, and give the T signal. That way, when you do start the game with FTs, at least the people who were in the gym when the incident occured may have some idea as to why.