Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
now is this a Technical if the kid is correct in his assesment?
Of course not! First, I'd ask the clock person to turn the clock off, and then announce to both coaches that I was suspending the game for the moment. Then I'd hightail it into the locker room, get my cell phone and call my assignor. "Howard?" I'd say. "These guys are onto me. You're gonna have to get someone in here that can handle this game, cuz I suck!"
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
This happened at a B V match tonight (I had the frosh game and stuck around to watch). As Team A is going through its warm-ups, I am walking on floor level, within two feet of one of the refs, and hear a player say, REALLY loud, "Oh jeez, not these guys, these refs SUCK!" I turned around and looked at the player, who was in the layup line, and nearest ref is just smiling, he must have heard it. What would you all have done?
In my rulebook this is a technical foul.

I am a little confused about other rulebooks here that don't interpret this as a technical foul, please feel free to enlighten me...or explain what part of "these refs suck" is not grounds for a technical foul. It's not funny, it's not something friends say to each other, at best it's a very sarcastic comment towards an official a player has become too familiar with...and you know what familiarity breeds!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This should be left up to the officials on the court. There really could be more to the story (a kid from church, a boss's kid, etc.). Maybe, just maybe, the officials and the player have developed a good rapport over the season(s), and the officials absolutely know the player was joking.

And yes, it is something a teenager would say to a friend in jest.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
This should be left up to the officials on the court. There really could be more to the story (a kid from church, a boss's kid, etc.). Maybe, just maybe, the officials and the player have developed a good rapport over the season(s), and the officials absolutely know the player was joking.

And yes, it is something a teenager would say to a friend in jest.
In my past life i coached for 12 seasons and organized a local basketball league and ran some camps. During that time I met many players and coaches. When I ref they are not my players, friends or buddies...they are nameless / faceless bodies with numbers. I have a hard time being a buddy and a ref. Some players approach me before games to say hello and shake hands..it's all I can do to try and dissuade them from being friendly. The most I will do is say to them after game: "good work, nice to see you again". I think refs need to show a level of impartiality. If an opponent/coach heard a player come up to me and say "not you again ...you suck!" and us laughing together what message does that send? Turn it around: ref approaches player he knows pregame and says "I see you still stink as a outside shooter, I guess I won't be using my three point fingers tonight...hahaha".

Not good on so many levels.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't really disagree with that; my only point is that it could happen in such a way as to not be unsporting. I'm not saying it's the most appropriate conversation; only that it may or may not be unsporting.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:57pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Would everyone here just go to the coach and or table for this or would you use your whistle and draw immediate attention to the conduct?
I think I would treat this the same as a pre-game dunk. We've always been taught not to sound the whistle. Just inform the table and coaches. I would think that I would do the same in this situation, unless somebody can offer a good reason for blowing the whistle.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Of course not! First, I'd ask the clock person to turn the clock off, and then announce to both coaches that I was suspending the game for the moment. Then I'd hightail it into the locker room, get my cell phone and call my assignor. "Howard?" I'd say. "These guys are onto me. You're gonna have to get someone in here that can handle this game, cuz I suck!"
i agree with this -- i would do the same except I dont call Howard...
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sound the whistle, give the sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think I would treat this the same as a pre-game dunk. We've always been taught not to sound the whistle. Just inform the table and coaches. I would think that I would do the same in this situation, unless somebody can offer a good reason for blowing the whistle.
I will tell you why I think that a whistle would be appropriate in this circumstance.

Last week, I attended a game as a spectator in which there was a pregame dunk. I was not in the game when the dunk occurred, but after a phone call just now to the calling official, he did not sound his whistle or make any indication of what had happened. He did immediately walk over to the player of the coach though and informed him. I came in with about 7 minutes on the clock before the game started.

After the teams were introduced, the calling official stepped into the reporting area, sounded his whistle, indicated the team, number and gave the T signal, and then said "Dunking before the game" along with a nice 2 handed rim grasp motion. I wish I had had my video camera running from right behind the table for this one.

Anyhoww, as they went and shot the FTs, I heard 2 different conversations around me of people asking why the visitors were starting with 2 FTs and the ball.

While everyone in the gym at the start of the game may not have been in the gym when the dunk happened, I don't think it hurts to sound your whistle when something does happen during warm-ups that warrants a technical, and give the T signal. That way, when you do start the game with FTs, at least the people who were in the gym when the incident occured may have some idea as to why.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
I will tell you why I think that a whistle would be appropriate in this circumstance.

Last week, I attended a game as a spectator in which there was a pregame dunk. I was not in the game when the dunk occurred, but after a phone call just now to the calling official, he did not sound his whistle or make any indication of what had happened. He did immediately walk over to the player of the coach though and informed him. I came in with about 7 minutes on the clock before the game started.

After the teams were introduced, the calling official stepped into the reporting area, sounded his whistle, indicated the team, number and gave the T signal, and then said "Dunking before the game" along with a nice 2 handed rim grasp motion. I wish I had had my video camera running from right behind the table for this one.

Anyhoww, as they went and shot the FTs, I heard 2 different conversations around me of people asking why the visitors were starting with 2 FTs and the ball.

While everyone in the gym at the start of the game may not have been in the gym when the dunk happened, I don't think it hurts to sound your whistle when something does happen during warm-ups that warrants a technical, and give the T signal. That way, when you do start the game with FTs, at least the people who were in the gym when the incident occured may have some idea as to why.
If we want all the people in the gym to always know what and why we do certain things all games would last hours for all the stops and powerpoint presentations we would have to do on the court.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
If we want all the people in the gym to always know what and why we do certain things all games would last hours for all the stops and powerpoint presentations we would have to do on the court.
Powerpoint? Hmmm, now there's a useful addition to my gear bag!
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
They didn't have a public address announcer?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
They didn't have a public address announcer?
Yeah, but it was Dick Vitale, and all he said was, "Steps, Baby!"