View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
This should be left up to the officials on the court. There really could be more to the story (a kid from church, a boss's kid, etc.). Maybe, just maybe, the officials and the player have developed a good rapport over the season(s), and the officials absolutely know the player was joking.

And yes, it is something a teenager would say to a friend in jest.
In my past life i coached for 12 seasons and organized a local basketball league and ran some camps. During that time I met many players and coaches. When I ref they are not my players, friends or buddies...they are nameless / faceless bodies with numbers. I have a hard time being a buddy and a ref. Some players approach me before games to say hello and shake hands..it's all I can do to try and dissuade them from being friendly. The most I will do is say to them after game: "good work, nice to see you again". I think refs need to show a level of impartiality. If an opponent/coach heard a player come up to me and say "not you again ...you suck!" and us laughing together what message does that send? Turn it around: ref approaches player he knows pregame and says "I see you still stink as a outside shooter, I guess I won't be using my three point fingers tonight...hahaha".

Not good on so many levels.