View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Tony & Ozzy

Yes, a group of umpires lead by Garth and his son Matt took the SRI to task. The SRI then repeated his claim and stood by it until someone brought in a rule book to assist the SRI in seeing his incorrect assumption.

In Oregon we are just starting a system to govern all SRIs for all sports.

Previous to this year the SRIs were basically named to their positions for life and really had no oversight.

Starting in 2009 all SRIs will:

1) Be named to a term at the position (probably three years),

2) Will be evaluated by the Sport Specific Committee that they represent,

3) Have specific requirements to process to keep there positions.

Oregon is set up this way:

A. The Oregon School Activities Association governs all competitive sport.

B. The Oregon Athletic Officials Association governs all officials in all sports.

C. The State Specific Sports Committees (I am on the Baseball Umpire Committee) selects the direction and specific programs for all officials. It is this committee that will be the oversight committee for the State Rules Interpreters.

What we have currently in Oregon is that the OSAA wants two or three SRIs to step down but are afraid that by making a set system that the ONE key SRI (that is well respected nationally) could also fall out of his position.

We would hope that all SRIs would be "experts" on the rules of the game that they are responsible . . . sadly we have found that is far from the norm.

Since I am in my third year as the Portland Baseball Umpires Association Vice President of Rules I agree with Bob Jenkins. Sometimes things come out of my mouth that even surprise me.

Regards,