View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Disconcertion Rule...

Last night I had a girls' JV game. Away team is ahead by 15 and, in this game, that equals about a 30 point lead. Anyway, one of the guards on the away team just yells "hey, hey hey" EVERY time a player near her has the ball and she's on defense.

At what point do you call a violation for disconcertion (or is it a T? I have to look that up)?

Ultimately, at the beginning of the 4th quarter, I pulled the away coach aside and asked her to politely ask her player to tone down the yelling. Said that different officials define "disconcertion" differently, but it is a rule violation and not a part of the game. (There had been a scrum involving in the 3rd quarter for a jump ball and almost started something had I not been running toward the scrum to keep heads cool.) I told the coach that I just didn't want to see tempers get higher and it would help out to have her stop with the yelling. She did, and the game ended fine.

What do you think? All I have to say is that it was REALLY ANNOYING! I mean, it's one thing to yell, "dead, dead, dead", but this was a bit much for me.