View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Wink I agree with brandda...

Very good approach Dave!

I had a similar situation a few years back during a PONY tourney. The only difference in my case was that the "pain" was actually being very pleasant and polite. It didn't make him any less of a pain, it just was easier to have a friendly banter goin' with him. (Not normally recommended!)

At one point he groaned and made a reference to how much he knew about the rules ("Blue, I'm not tryin' ta show ya up but...").

When the half inning ended, I approached the fence - very calmly - and said, "Sir, I also noticed how savvy you are with the rules, We need guys like you to help out around here. We'd also need you during the High School season too! Just stop by the concession stand after this game, and the UIC will give you a number for the State Association and his phone number."

You know, the guy was so freaked out that he stayed quiet for the rest of the time his son's team stayed in contention, and we never saw him again. Too bad though, I really felt that this guy, and his gift of gab could've worked out to be a fine official some day.

Oh well! It stopped the his heckling, but the UIC actually got 3 other inquiries from my conversation!