View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The guard may legally jump. He may legally turn or duck, but he must remain within his vertical plane. If he didn't by sticking out his forearm, then his action was illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Neveda, I'm so disapointed.

Using your arms to soften an impending collision doesn't make it a block.
Where did I write that this was a block? I'm so disappointed. Think NFHS signal #29.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach
With all due deference, does 4-24-3 strike a familiar note?
With all due deference, does 4-24-6 strike a familiar note?
...It is not legal to extend the arms fully or partially in a position other than vertical so that the freedom of movement of an opponent is hindered when contact with the arms occurs. The extension of the elbows when the hands are on the hips or when the hands are held near the chest or when the arms are held more or less horizontally are examples of illegal positions used.

I only wrote a short reply earlier. In my opinion, JR explained it in better detail. Depending upon what the defender did with his arm, which the OP only described as "sticks out his forearm," this call could go either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Straight judgment call imo. It depends on what you think the defender is doing with his forearms. If the forearms are just there....passive.....and the offensive player initiates contact on what would have been the defender's torso except for the forearms, I'd have a charge in that case. That's why this one is a htbt call, as you said above. Can't really tell without seeing it.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 01:46pm.