View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

First, on the dunking rule. The definition of team personnel includes the listing of "civilians" like Assistant Coaches and trainers. But the definition also uses the words "is NOT limited to". That tells me that Varsity Players Warming up can be considered bench personnel without being in the book. To follow that logic, it would seem to me that a player dunking in pregame, whether in the book or not, IS considered team personnel. Therefore it would result in a direct T on the player as bench personnel, but no need to add him to the roaster, as I had no need to add the trainer to the roster when I assessed him a T last week. (That was a first) It would also mean an indirect T on the HC as the rules mandate. In Ohio, that also means the HC now has the seatbelt for the game as he has lost the privilege to use the coaching box.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Last year, when this scenario came up, I asked how to handle it at our last Association meeting of the year when we discuss unusual situations that have cropped up. I was surprised when the commissioner of one of the conferences I officiate said it was NO T. Just remove the offending player from the court. So much for following the logic that I thought was pretty clear.