View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 05:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Unless your using IAABO mechanics. There is only one boundary line responsibility diagram in the manual. The lead has the nearest endline, and sideline below free throwline extended. The trail has the division line, all the backcourt, nearest endline, and farther sideline above free throw line extended. This diagram is listed as an option, but there is no other option offered, or described, in the manual.

My local IAABO board switched from NFHS mechanics to IAABO mechanics a few years ago. Our IAABO handbook no longer contains NFHS mechanics. It contains an IAABO directory, a NFHS rule book, a NFHS case book, and an IAABO mechanics manual.

I hate the IAABO mechanics. In many cases the manual suggests options that must be pregamed before every game to be sure that you and your partner are on the same page. There's even an option for a rotation when the trail moves across the basket line, the lead rotates to the other side. There's also an option to the old official-ball-official boxing in principle. It's like IAABO is using three man mechanics in a two man game. What was wrong with the old NFHS mechanics? They worked well for me for over twenty-plus years.

Billy:

I think you are confusing throw-in responsibility with out-of-bound violation coverage responsibility. The IAABO mechanics on pages 44 and 45 of the IAABO H.S. Handbook refer to throw-in resposibilities not out-of-bound violation converage repsonsibility. The mechanic on page 44 is an old NCAA Women's 2-man mechanic that I find to be a good mechanic but the mechanic on page 45 is the correct NFHS mechanic and is also an accepted IAABO mechanic.

I feel your pain when the bal does go out-of-bounds above the free throw line extended as on page 44 of the IAABO H.S. Handbook is a good example of situations that need to be pre-gamed. Out-of-bounds violations on that sideline are the responsibility of the L, but when the ball goes over in the area which you are concerned, the T has to have a patient whistle in case the L doesn't make a call, and needs to be ready to help the L if he does put air in his whistle. In those situations I, as the L, will know 99% of the time that the ball went out-of-bounds and that is all because of coverage in the paint, and I will put air in the whistle and then give the call up to the T because he will most likely have the best look at the play.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio