View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS or IAABO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Assuming 2-man, the lead owns the entire sideline all the way to the backcourt endline. Lead has the whistle and the call unless they ask for help from the trail (which a wise lead will often do when it is above the FT line extended)
Unless your using IAABO mechanics. There is only one boundary line responsibility diagram in the manual. The lead has the nearest endline, and sideline below free throwline extended. The trail has the division line, all the backcourt, nearest endline, and farther sideline above free throw line extended. This diagram is listed as an option, but there is no other option offered, or described, in the manual.

My local IAABO board switched from NFHS mechanics to IAABO mechanics a few years ago. Our IAABO handbook no longer contains NFHS mechanics. It contains an IAABO directory, a NFHS rule book, a NFHS case book, and an IAABO mechanics manual.

I hate the IAABO mechanics. In many cases the manual suggests options that must be pregamed before every game to be sure that you and your partner are on the same page. There's even an option for a rotation when the trail moves across the basket line, the lead rotates to the other side. There's also an option to the old official-ball-official boxing in principle. It's like IAABO is using three man mechanics in a two man game. What was wrong with the old NFHS mechanics? They worked well for me for over twenty-plus years.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 27, 2008 at 04:53pm.