View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:22am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
This happened last week in a D1 game. It was Kentucky versus ???? I have no idea who was playing becuase I spend my time watching the officials. The ball went out of bounds on the base line and the lead made a very strong call to show who's ball it was. Immediately C came across to him and they had a 10 second discussion and L changed his call. No complaints at all from the coaches or players. I have to assume that these folks pre-game this stuff so that they WILL NOT come to you on a OOB situation unless, as MTD said earlier, they are 200% sure. If they are not, they don't come. Does that mean that if partner comes to you it is an automatic call change? No, but it if you pre-game it right it should give you a very strong indication that you were incorrect. What's my point? Watch games at all levels and watch the officials because you learn so much from them. Also, a good pre-game, which I know is not always possible at all levels, helps a lot when these situations arise.

Johnny:

Pre-gaming is the most important thing. I taught my student officials, that: (1) The C should be 200% sure that the L couldn't see what he saw. (2) And that if he is 200% sure then the conversation should go one of the following three ways:

Conversation 1:

L: Red ball.

C: I saw White touch the ball after Red touched it.

L: Okay. I will change my call. White ball.

Conversation 2:

L: I know, and then White touched the ball again. Red ball.

Conversation 3:

L: I am positive that White never touched the ball. We are staying with Red ball. Red ball.

But in all three conversations, it is the L that still makes the final decision.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio