View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:31am
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
You're absolutely right, Publius, as regards missed-base appeals. But the play in question does not involve an appeal: it involves a change effected in the status of a runner by his attempt to return to correct an error. In this case, it doesn't matter whether the defense is even paying attention.

You're not going to find the answer to this play in black and white in the rule book.
I agree with your last sentence.

I'm just saying, given the events of the OP (which included, "the defense appeals"), this run scores regardless. When the runner passed the plate, absent an appeal he is deemed to have touched it. The run could be removed on proper appeal if the runner hadn't retouched, but he did.

If the defense doesn't appeal, the run counts since the runner passed the plate before the time-play third out was recorded. If the defense does appeal, the appeal is denied--the runner touched before the appeal was made.

Roder's position is a stretch under current rules and accepted interpretations. You would have to uphold an appeal in which the runner touched the base before the appeal was made. Or, absent an appeal, the umpire would be required to unilaterally ignore the JEA section I quoted.

Either of those, friends, is taking the sh&%ty end of the stick.