View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I personally do not like to threaten or say the words technical foul. But I will say that "if you do not handle this (or change this) behavior, then you are going to leave me with little or no choice to take action." I have found that it gets across the point of view that I want them to get. And they know what I mean. It seems to come off less confrontational in my experiences. And I feel it empowers them to make the right decision rather than it looking like I was using my power over them. I have even said to players when they get goofy, "Do you want to play the next game?" They get the message really quick.

Peace
It's a "have to be there" decision. There are times I will use the words, and there are times I know I don't have to or would be just egging the coach on. 15 years of dealing with coaches in 3 sports at the varsity level or above have made me pretty good at knowing what to say, although I don't always get it perfect.

The latest time: I had to walk down the other end of the court to defuse a situation where my (less experienced) partner was allowing too much cross-court yelling to happen (on an out of bounds call the coach could not possibly see, no less). I wasn't going to whack the coach from 70 feet away on the other side of the court, but I wasn't going to allow the situation to continue. I used the words "technical foul" when talking to him and realized he may say something unkind back I would have to let go considering I went all the way TO him which looked aggressive on my part to begin with. But the NEXT one where he YELLED would, indeed, be handled with a T. I promised him that.

As I said to my partner that night (who is a first year varsity official), it will get easier to handle these kind of things once you whack a few coaches who have it coming (and probably some who don't).