View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

After further review

The rulebook states rule 1-16-c is an "altered bullpen rule to agree with NCAA Championship policies." The rulebook clearly indicates Rule 1-16 is an "administrative rule that may be altered by mutual consent of the competing institutions."

The issues raised between B and D seem unresolved in this thread. As far as redshirt players being inelgible for dugout duties, I have never heard of such a restriction. I have seen more than one redshirt pitcher warm the bench. I have also seen a number of freshman who had no shot at playing on the "varsity squad" ride the pine for 2 years or more. Who carries the coach's fungo, holds the sunflower seeds, sits by the igloo, participates in cage work, and more on gameday? I never thought it meant a free ride to the games. I want them to earn that scholarship. Choice A is allowed in MLB and I have no evidence of a BRD between NCAA and MLB here. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't one if it is being discussed among NCAA umpires at this time.

Choice B seems reserved for the spirit of the rule which eliminates fellow students, girlfriends, family members, alumni, and former players from the dugout, just as rules do not allow players to mingle in the crowd, or talk to spectators during the game. Lastings Milledge, of the NY Mets, after he hit his 1st MLB home run, comes to mind. Some people liked the enthusiasm of youth on display while others turned a cold shoulder to the sideshow. It wouldn't surprise me, if this literal interpretation made it through the rules committee. "Whoo Hoo, look what I accomplished!"

Last edited by SAump; Tue Jan 22, 2008 at 01:49am.