View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 08:32pm
Veteran College Umpire

[QUOTE=Tim C]The slide says that "trainwrecks" can happen and if both players are doing their job there should be NO obstruction called.
[QUOTE]

At the NFHS meeting last week we discussed this at length, and the above statement is true IF THE FIELDER DOESN'T DENY ACCESS TO THE BASE for the batter-runner. Here's an example - in the play at first base, if the collision occurs (and the first baseman does NOT have the ball) and the batter-runner goes down in a heap, or is in some other way denied some access to the base, it is obstruction.
If, however, there is a collision where the batter-runner is NOT DENIED ACCESS, there will be no obstruction.
Now, practically speaking, the odds are the first instance is the one that will happen, but that's not to say that the second instance will NEVER happen.
That's why there are apparently conflicting statements from the NFHS.
Personally, I don't think this will be a big deal. When the trainwreck occurs I will look to see if the runner was denied direct access to some portion of the base by a fielder without the ball. Then I will make my decision.

JJ