View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 04:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
Just some questions about these situations
If A1 is about to shoot and A2 sets an illegal screen, is the shot attempt canceled? I'm looking at when A1 shot won't count. Does the ball have to be released? Would there be a point when A2 foul would not be a team control foul?
When you say "about to shoot", I am assuming that the ball is still in the hands of A1 when A2 fouls B2. If so, then yes, the shot is cancelled. It is cancelled because the moment that A2 fouls B2, the ball is dead.

If the shot is released by A1 prior to A2's foul, then the basket will count if successful.

The event that separates A1's putting the ball through the hoop not counting and counting is his/her release of the ball.

There is no team control on a try, so when A1 releases the ball, A2's foul on B2 is subject to the bonus situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
2. If A2 sets the illegal screen while/before/ and after A1 is shooting and A1 gets fouled on the shot attempt what should be done?
If A2 sets an illegal screen before A1's release, the ball is dead and A1's try is for naught. The contact against A1 is ignored unless intentional or flagrant.

If A2 fouls after A1's release, then you have a false double foul. If B is in the bonus, B2 shots the bonus situation with the lane cleared. Then go back to give A1 one, two, or three foul shots based upon if his/her try was successful. The lane is filled here and the game continues from the last foul shot: made or missed.