View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
1) Masks are now illegal FED equipment. I would have to ask myself if the catcher were deliberately testing my knowledge. I would toss the mask before the first pitch of the game.

2) Catchers that shave know how to reach a ball with their bare hand or mitt. Catchers with HSM also know how easy it is to make this play with either left-handed mitt or free hand in place of their new right-hand extension. Imagine how difficult it is to scoop up a spinning ground ball in your HSH and to throw or make a play with their new extension.

3) What spinning action? The action that occurs behind home plate. I would have to ask myself why a catcher deliberately committed a 3B award penalty. Did the catcher hit the ball with the mask or the ball hit into the catcher's mask?
1) Not true. A certified mask and helmet combo is still legal. They're just rare. And, clearly the ruling doesn't depend on whether this is a mask or an HSH.

2) Yes, they know how to reach the ball with their bare had. They also "forget" the rule and might panic.

3) A valid question, but also one that's covered in the OP. The use of the word "scoops" indicates a positive action by F2.