Thread: NSA Ruling?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
No, it is you who are confusing intellectual property with the physical media used for distribution. Just like the teenagers.
Are you saying there's not a difference?

I can listen to Britney Spears' songs for free on the radio - can't I? But if I want my own copy, to listen to it whenever I want (as if I'd want to do that ) I'd have to buy the CD.

I can watch the movie "Saving Private Ryan" on CBS when it airs, but if I want my own copy, to watch whenever I want, I'd have to buy the DVD.

I can be a fan, watching a game, and be curious about an "illegal pitch" that was called. I could go home and check out the rule on the internet at a later time, but if I want to have the convenience of checking it out now, I'd have to have the rulebook with me. Which means I'd have to purchase one.

"Intellectual property" can be invoked on countless things. And many people do! But just because they do does not necessarily mean it is wisest to make the product difficult to access. Besides, many people who own the rights to something do not always expect, or desire, to profit from it. It's just information. They just want to own it and take credit for it. And that's usually the case with something as mundane as a codified system of rules for an athletic event. Well, with the exception, of course, of the ASA and NFHS.

Let's face it - they are the exception in this regard. I guess the real question is: Why?

The answer can't be: Because that's the way they want to do it!

That's not an explanation - that's an observation ... an obvious one at that.

Why do you feel the need to be such a sycophant for these organizations? I think they're great organizations that do some great things for America's youth - but that doesn't mean they cannot be open to some constructive criticism.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN