View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
I'm a first year. I had an obvious call overturned once by the Ref and it was the right call and I didn't argue. He said inadvertent whistle. It wasn't a critical moment too. On this next play in a different game I was the lead. A shot attempt near the baseline which I saw as blocked but the trail calls a foul. This has a crucial moment in the game. This wasn't a behind call either when the trail might see it and the lead couldn't. He thought he saw a foul and he might have been right but it was clearly my call. The defense of course went nuts saying it wasn't a foul. Should I always support my partner on this? After the game I was thinking I could have blown my whistle right after and claimed I had a call too and called a jump ball or inadvertent whistle but then the other coach would have been upset. The game was going well and we even had fans from both sides at halftime tell us that we were doing a great job but of course all it takes is some controversy and then you have half the gym against the refs.
thinking more on this I'm sure we've all seen missed calls in NCAA, NBA but they are never overturned and I really can't think of an example I've seen when the refs talk about a foul on a shot attempt and overturn it if only one ref had the call.
Never throw your partner under the bus. Yes, support him. If you wish to discuss the call, do so in private.

Foul calls are largely based on judgment. Maybe he has better judgment than you do. Maybe he has worse judgment than you do. It's just a disagreement if a foul was committed on the play. After the game was over, ask him what he saw. If the play came from your primary, and he had a whistle, ask him who was watching his primary area.

Don't start thinking about things to "reverse" a bad foul call by your partner. Just call your game, work with your P as a team does, but if he makes a bad call, then he has to live with it.

Be thankful that you and he learned something at a non-critical part of a game.