Thread: Jump ball??????
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
kbilla:

From the description that you gave of the play, only one official should be putting air in his whistle and that is the C. The C is the only official that can see the whole play. The L does not have a clue as to what is happening because he cannot see the ball. If an official cannot see that ball then he cannot make a ruling.

A few years ago I remember reading an article either in Referee or the pay side of Officiaitng.com about to officiate held balls and the key to making the correct call is to see the ball. In your play, the L could not see the play but the C could and is the official that should have been making the call PERIOD.

MTD, Sr.
Very good point Mark, I would hope that if the play had gone on for another instant I would have blown it, but he blew the jump ball pretty quickly. If it isn't in my primary, I like to give that official the first shot at it, and I suppose in that instant it didn't register that he is screened and can't see the play...like I said I think he just blew it dead to avoid any further action from taking place which I don't like at all, officiate the whole play!

Do you think rushing in on a call like this outside your primary sets you up for the dreaded jump ball/foul/TO double whistle? (Which is why I always start the jump ball signal with the the stop clock signal only even though it is not a prescribed mechanic)...