View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know how I happened upon this old thread, but it raised a question in my mind. Rule 3.1 says that you cannot play with only 4 players when a substitute is available for a DQ'd player. Once that official notified the coach that his player was DQ'd, he became bench personnel. While this is not a correctable error, haven't we unnecessarily put Team B at a disadvantage by not allowing them their additional rebounder? If I'm team B, I'd rather give team A another opportunity to make their first free throw than give them the ball back for an opportunity of a 2 or 3 point play.

I also find it difficult to take away points if team A made the first free throw, as the sub would have had no impact on that shot.

Before reading this thread, I might have left a free throw on the board for a made situation... but performed a 'do over' for a miss. Is it really the 'official' interpretation that we are to 'play on' in federation rules?

"Therefore, it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation"