View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Should Women Officials Seek A Mentor Of The Same Sex?

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
I didn't want to go there, but I am. There are some "straight" women officials who are uncomfortable with women officials who are "gay" this is not my s*#t this is information that a couple of women officials in my area have shared with me. If this is true then this is another issue that some women officials may have to deal with. That may make it difficult for women officials to select a mentor of the same sex. I personally have never considered a women official as a mentor, even though I know there are excellent women officials out there that I can learn alot from. Maybe some of the women who read this post will get honest, and let us know if this issue is widespread or if it's not as bad as it seems to be.
Most women athletes have to deal with the issue of lesbian-ism at one time or another. Either they themselves are lesbians, or they are called lesbians, or they have to deal with other women who they must work closely with who are lesbians. I don't see this as a big issue. I have no idea if any of the women in our association are lesbians, and it doesn't matter to me. Just as I don't care about the "sexuality" of any of my male co-workers. It wouldn't be any different to have a lesbian mentor, than to have a male mentor. That person is not someone who I see as "available to me" sexually. If they come on to me -- whether male or female -- I'll have the same response. I would hope most women in this field would be mature enough for this not to be a big issue.